[HOT] OSM Fiji linked with U-Report for TC Winston response

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu May 12 19:37:26 UTC 2016

On 5/12/2016 10:23 AM, john whelan wrote:
> The Canadian Treasury Board releases Federal Government open data
> under a license that is OSM compatible. Sometimes its easier to get
> governments to open their data under the same license as another
> Government than to make an exception for OSM as very few people really
> understand what OSM's ODBL license actually is.

Unfortunately no one other than the Federal Government of Canada can use
the version of the OGL that the Federal government uses, and we're only
able to use the data thanks to an explicit statement that the license is
compatible with the ODbL (and CC BY), so we'd need the same statement
from any other government using a similar license.

In short, don't recommend the OGL Canada, recommend a reusable license
like CC0.