[HOT] India ban on "unofficial maps"

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Fri May 13 09:54:17 UTC 2016

We've got something similar in Belarus, leftover from USSR times.

For long time local mapping agencies tried to exploit that, which led to
"there are no maps of Belarus in digital form available", which led to OSM
being extremely popular here (maps.me, Galileo, OsmAnd are all made in
Belarus, because of that reason).

In principle any map of Belarus (even if you've drawn it yourself just a
second ago) is copyrighted by Belcartography, and they can sue you using
local copyright-based laws.

For now the law is not used - people have to get license to have a "map",
but it's alright to have "scheme not to scale" even if it happens to be to
scale.