[HOT] Request: Suggestions for improvements to iD OSM Web Editor

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Mon May 16 12:59:26 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone!

HOT is putting together a list of possible improvements or changes to
the default OSM web editor iD that might help improve and ease typical
HOT and Missing Maps OSM editing. As part of that process we would
like to get ideas from the greater HOT and Missing Maps community.

A few things already on the list and near the top of priorities for HOT are:

* A building tool that would make drawing squared up (and round)
buildings just a few clicks (this is close to being done already)

* Customizable presets for typical or special HOT/Missing Maps
projects (already in process, but not close to done)

* Support for switching between two imagery sources (this is close to
being done already)

But we would love to hear more ideas and feedback from you about ways
that iD could better help support HOT and Missing Maps type of mapping
projects as well as very very new OSM mappers that often work on our
projects.

Please let us know things you think iD might be able to do to help new
mappers or mappers that work on HOT / Missing Maps projects.

Obviously there is limited development time available so most things
will not be done in the short or medium term, but let us see together
if there are any quick wins we might be able to identify.

Also please share your feedback on things you had problems with or saw
other mappers having problems with even if you do not have a
suggestion for how to actually address those issues.

We will then take all those ideas and working with the iD Github
repository issue/feature tracking make some requests to the iD
developer. Yes, I said "developer" as in 1 person who does the bulk
(not all, but most) of the iD maintenance and development, Bryan
Housel. You can imagine he gets pulled in a lot of different
directions by the greater OSM community and he has to balance a lot of
needs and concerns. But Bryan has always been very open to suggestions
and feedback and concerns about the iD editor and that is why it is
the great tool it is.

The iD OSM Web Editor will always first and foremost be a general OSM
editor so some things will just not be possible, but we are quite sure
we can find some things that will help HOT/Missing Maps and be of use
to the greater OSM mapping community as well. Our goal is to identify
those things and help get them implemented through feedback and
testing and maybe even some code contributions if anyone is interested
in doing that.

So as I said, please, if you have a few minutes to share some thoughts
on the iD editor it would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Blake

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team