[HOT] HOT is activating to map for support of the relief efforts in Sri Lanka

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Thu May 19 02:18:16 UTC 2016

Thank you Blake for managing the original updates while I got some badly
needed sleep.

Everyone, I’ve worked in Sri Lanka on and off for the past year and can
testify that a lot of my friends and co-workers are suffering from the
flooding. My Facebook is full of pictures of cars and houses swamped by
water. It’s also full of people doing good work, including from the
government side. It’s not just the obvious response tasks either: I saw
some great photos just this morning of the local roads authority battling
out in the rains to mark roads with poles so others could navigate and not
get lost.

Point is, Sri Lanka’s government is exactly the kind of strong partner HOT
wants to work with in these emergencies. The Disaster Management Centre of
Sri Lanka is very keen on OpenStreetMap and has invested a lot of effort
over the past few years to figure out how to use OSM for emergency
preparedness. If the HOT community can come together and show them how
useful it is for emergency response as well that would be fantastic.

I hope all of you can find the time to map a little. From my side I’ll try
to make that as easy and productive as possible. Anyone who wants to join
the activation team can just email me and Mikel — we’ll get them added to
the various coordination resources.

Thanks in advance HOT community!

- Robert