[HOT] OpenStreetMap data, good and bad

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:45:22 UTC 2016

I was at a presentation yesterday given by Stats Canada to the local
University.  They're using a customised version of iD to map buildings.  It
has more restricted tag set.  Using a mouse the presenter was able to
accurately map a square building without difficulty so it would appear the
misshapes we see are people trying to map without using a mouse.

Perhaps having a customised version of iD with a subset of the available
tags might help HOT.  Highways for example could be restricted to the
values in the African Wiki.  Certainly for HOT projects I think
highway=motorway could be omitted.

Cheerio John