[HOT] Tajik Hazard - OSM HOT Task

Yannis Fourniadis Yannis.Fourniadis at arup.com
Tue Nov 29 10:52:11 UTC 2016

Dear HOT OSM,

I am working for Arup, an international engineering consultancy based in London. As Arup, we have been active participants to OpenStreeMap (OSM), particularly as regards the Missing Maps Project. Employees from Arup offices in the UK and the USA have contributed significant time to map parts of South Kivu in the Congo.

I am writing to enquire on the feasibility of initiating a mapping task through OSM Tasking Manager (http://tasks.hotosm.org/) for the mapping of buildings and infrastructure (roads, railways) in the Republic of Tajikistan.

The Republic of Tajikistan is located in a region affected by natural hazards (flooding, earthquakes). The World Bank is supporting a project to strengthen critical infrastructure in the Republic of Tajikistan against the impact of natural hazards. A team led by Arup, and including the University of Zurich and consultants based in Tajikistan, have been appointed by the World Bank to carry out consultancy services in relation to strengthening critical infrastructure in the Republic of Tajikistan.

We plan to undertake community mapping of exposure data (buildings and infrastructure) as part of this project in the Arup offices in London in on 16 December 2016. Like in previous occasions (e.g. HOT task #1235 http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1235) we would greatly appreciate your help to setup an OSM mapping task, through which we could undertake the community mapping.

Could you please advise whether you are able to create an OSM task for us to use for exposure mapping at the sites given in the attached Google Earth files. These are all sites where critical infrastructure (bridges and flood protection levees) are located. The file "Exposure Sites" gives approximate extents of the areas where we would like to map the assets at risk.

It would be great to have this task up and running by 6 December 2016.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Yannis

Yannis Fourniadis
Senior Engineering Geologist
PhD  DIC  CGeol

Arup
13 Fitzroy Street  London  W1T 4BQ  United Kingdom
d: +44 20 7755 4310
www.arup.com <http://www.arup.com/>