[HOT] Improving data quality of Maperthons

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:42:29 UTC 2016

Unfortunately most projects and mapathons are not as well organised as the
London ones and I don't think they ever will be.  Often a mapathon is
organised by someone with no or little experience in mapping heading up an
enthusiastic group of none mappers.  The lone mappers are easier to deal
with, there is time to give them feedback as they map, but twenty new
mappers and you know many will be doing something else next Friday night
are more difficult to deal with.

If you take a quick skim through the HOT projects most tiles have not been
validated and even where they are the validation is inconsistent.

When I'm validating a project I'll validate the tiles marked done but its
rare that a project gets completed and there is a fair bit of mapping done
across the project on tiles that aren't marked done.

All I'm suggesting is if the mapathons can group their mapping together
then we stand more chance of catching more of the mistakes.

If all mapathons could be as well organised as the London ones with their
own validators that would be ideal but then I'd have to find something else
to moan about and recently the local bus service has been particularly on
time.

Cheerio John