[HOT] Hurricane Matthew Mapping Urgently Needed

Elise White elisecw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 12:20:53 UTC 2016

Good Morning,

Thank you Dale for this information on Task 2196. I am a local GIS
Technician on Grand Bahama island in the Bahamas, but I am a novice when it
comes to HOT. I am trying to learn quickly so that I can contribute as much
as I can. Is the learning curve steep on HOT? I am asking because I would
like to promote this and other tasks through my friends, family and
colleagues to get people contributing their knowledge of the areas. I have
coordinates for shelters on Grand Bahama, but not for the other islands,
just a list with names. I am wondering how easily others who are not so
familiar with mapping can help locating these shelters on the other islands.

Thanks,

Elise White

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Dale Kunce <dale.kunce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hurricane Matthew continues to strengthen and is advancing on Haiti and
> the Bahamas. The next day is very important to keep mapping so that relief
> and humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross and others can help those
> affected in the coming days.
>
> We need to keep the mapping going. Some areas with potential
> "catastrophic" damage are still unmapped.
>
> https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-
> matthew-caribbean-haiti-jamaica-cuba-bahamas-forecast-oct2
>
> Please help HOT by contributing the mapping. Task 2196
> <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2196> is live right now and needs more
> mappers. The activation team anticipates additional projects for Haiti and
> the Bahamas over the next few days.
>
> Thanks again for your contribution and continued support of HOT.
>
> --
> Dale Kunce
> Vice-President
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team