[HOT] [activation hotosm] Hurricane Matthew response : Imagery/UAV coordination and support to local Haitian UAV capacities

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:07:02 UTC 2016

Ciao Cristiano, grazie x il email !

It's still time for us to help Fred and the Haitian UAV collective to do in
2016 for Cyclone Matthew what had been done for Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and
in Disaster Risk Reduction schemes for large organizations.

But it's a question of hours/days at this particular time of a crisis
response, so waiting for a lessons learned exercice is not the right path
for us if we do care for useful pixels for OSM and solid opendata for the
actors of the humanitarian system. Of course we will do a Lesson Learned
exercise and these emails can help as bits of archive to help us doing this
in a nice way beneficial for HOT US Inc, HOT, OSM and Humanitarian /
Development actors of this domain.

Now it's time to act swiftly the way HOT US Inc and OSM usually do. Let's
really help Fred and local Haitian UAV flyers and dronists first moving
into Haiti, getting one individual (with such impact) in a helico is not a
hard task for HOT US Inc partners or any OSM supporter relief organization.

UNHAS (among others) with the support of requesting entities like big Haiti
players (WFP ARC IOM UNICEF OCHA/UNDAC..) do this on regular basis at the
onset of emergencies.

It shall not be to difficult for Dale Kunce, HOT US Inc Vice president and
Head of American Red Cross (ARC) GIS unit involved in multi years support
program to Haitian Red Cross (HRC) in Haiti to help out directly or
indirectly.

Shall this be hard for ARC to respond, it shall not be hard for HOT US Inc
coordinators or Board of directors to liase with our partners on the ground
and make the case for local Haiti UAV-collection imagery actions given the
quality of the local UAV team on site.

These are easy actions that can be done that can furnish Haitian and global
OSM members with useful pixels at the end of the day.

On the CHARTER piece, pls trust that Fred, Pierre, Sev and I do very well
know the processes and issues at play. Fred did successfully activate the
Charter for Hurricane Sandy in 2012 on the behalf of the Haitian
government.

Fred could have done the same for Cyclone Matthew and notified it to the
Activation group in a timely fashion, this opportunity has not been seized.

Best,
Nicolas

--
<nicolas.chavent at hotosm.org>