[HOT] HOT Training WG - Validation

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:31:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

We all know that more training is needed. We also know that feedback is
part of the training process - Validation of projects within the Tasking
Manager (TM) is about training as well as data quality.

The HOT Training Working Group has a Trello board at
https://trello.com/b/ZYzEoama/hot-training-wg which is 'public'. The
board contains projects we are working on, and those we would like to
work on. It is a place to share ideas, and perhaps work on a coordinated
approach to moving forwards.

There is a Training Working Group email list at
https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!forum/training
<https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#%21forum/training>
- all are welcome to join.

For those who like meetings (necessary evil unfortunately), there are
meetings every 2 weeks, with the next meeting at  1900hrs UTC (Universal
Time Coordinated) Monday 24th October on IRC (Internet Relay Chat),
although we may try Mumble as well. All are free to attend the meetings,
or to send a report in for inclusion.

Our wiki entry at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Training
contains links to many things, including the minutes of past meetings.

We currently have a small but active team and we have several members
who 'drop in' occasionally. All of us have been involved in mapping and
realize that training is an important element of 'HOT'. We would welcome
new members, and we would welcome the creation of new training materials
- but it would be very useful if this was in a coordinated way so that
we don't have unnecessary duplication.

You are reading this message in English, but many of the volunteers who
map with HOT do not speak English - please consider this when thinking
about training materials. Yesterday, the 2nd most popular language
referred to in http://learnosm.org/en/ was Japanese, but parts were also
read in 13 other languages .

If you are creating training materials, you need to make sure they are
well advertised, and kept up to date - should they be linked to from
LearnOSM or from wiki entries?

While you are mapping or validating for Hurricane Matthew, Missing Maps,
or any other of the HOT activities, please think about how the training
could be improved. Yes, please let the existing Training WG know your
thoughts, but also think about contributing. Our current small team will
need more active members if we are to actually create some of the
resources discussed.

With every activation there are discussions about training, validation,
and data quality. The time to prepare and construct the training
materials is before you need them. Please consider helping to construct
these materials - if you want to work on these alone, please add links
to the documents I have mentioned so that your work does not go
unnoticed. If you have a team working on a project - even if you are a
big multi national company, please add links.

The title of this email group is Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team -
please work together like a team so we can give the most for the people
that need it.

These views are my own.

Nick (Tallguy)

Current Chair of HOT Training Working Group