[HOT] Intro to JOSM, JOSM for iD users YouTube vids

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:56:57 UTC 2016

Dear Friends,

If you like mapping, you owe it to yourself to try out the JOSM
desktop application for OSM mapping.

It has some advantages over the OSM iD web browser based editor, but
it is a little more complicated to use.

I made a series of very informal, one take, no script, no editing,
videos that hopefully serve as a gentle introduction to JOSM.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54o5PaKgnbKU-vXe11cSmmsxIYnL5oDU

Please forgive the informal, unpolished nature of the videos, if I had
to make sure they were of the same high quality that Andrew makes I
would never get them done :) Feedback welcome of course and feel free
to leave comments on the videos as well if you want to ask questions
or leave tips for others.

You can download and install JOSM from here:

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/

I usually just use the windows installer when I am installing on a
windows machine and do not suggest the jnlp method of installing JOSM.
For the most part, if you have Java already installed, JOSM installs
very easily and you can just accept the defaults and go ahead and
update the plugin list on first launch. One of the videos in the
playlist above shows how to set the preferences for JOSM that you
need.

If you need to install Java, the process should start the first time
you try and run JOSM. Go through the Java install process slowly and
make sure Java does not try and install the "Ask Toolbar" or change
your browser settings.

Anyway, if you like humanitarian mapping, it is totally worth it to
start using JOSM. I am happy to help anyone learn to use JOSM via an
interactive web session if you want some "virtual hands on" training,
just email me directly.

Cheers,
Blake