[HOT] Addresses in Africa

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Wed Sep 7 15:13:18 UTC 2016

On 31/08/16 13:37, john whelan wrote:
> ​There has been considerable talk about addressing schemes for areas
> that do not have street names etc.  Three words etc.

Y'know you don't have to go as far as Africa to find countries with
address "systems" like that. I give you: Ireland. In rural areas (many)
streets have no names, and many houses have no numbers, using house
names instead. Lowest level administrative areas (townlands) are often
used (but not always accurately) to construct an address.

About 30% of rural addresses are non-unique. i.e. The postman has to
know things from the surname on the letter.

A new postcode system has been released recently, which gives every
letter box a unique & random code. But it'll be years before that's used
a lot.

Alas, Ireland's drink monoculture means Ivan's beer address system
probably wouldn't work. :)

Read more:

 * https://www.autoaddress.ie/products/irish-addressing
 *