[HOT] Mapping buildings something to think about

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:31:48 UTC 2017

Hi John,

I feel your pain. While demoing JOSM to a potential GSoC candidate I
downloaded a building block in Mozambique. Almost all the buildings were
tagged area=yes! This is a problem with the iD editor that we reported 18
months ago and it's up to JOSM validators to resolve them. Life is just too
short. It's beyond belief that the iD developers cannot get their shit
straight, even afer all this time.

Anyway, for our National Mapathon I had created the following (since we had
Windows computers with Java installed available):

https://github.com/osmbe/JOSMforMapathons

You can download it as a zip from github.

Then run the josm_tested.cmd
<https://github.com/osmbe/JOSMforMapathons/blob/master/josm_tested.cmd>.
This will call the powershell script, which downloads JOSM and starts it
with settings for remote control enabled. Somehow it's still necessary to
download the plugins, but the useful ones are already selected.

I hope this helps to organise more mapathons were users are taught to map
with JOSM right from the start. It takes a bit longer to get them going,
but the users are so much more productive and validators will come in
hordes to thank you :-)

Polyglot