[HOT] Mapping buildings something to think about

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:51:37 UTC 2017

Thank you Majka.

I think Majka has pinned down one major problem.  Same problem as I had
with trainee programmers to them speed was important.  In HOT we shoot
ourselves in the foot by saying this project is urgent, implying speed is
of the essence.  We need a different way to say this.

This project is important perhaps?

Can we incorporate some elements of Majka's words into learnOSM.

Just for the record I'm not against iD I've seen someone map a building
perfectly without even touching S to square the building, but if you're
mapping buildings I don't think its the best tool for the job for new
inexperienced mappers.

The other thing that has come up on the thread is the lack of validators.
Like Polyglot I'm tired of seeing the same mistakes made over and over
again.  I've cut back on validating to a single project at the moment.
I've left messages for a number of mappers only to see them make the same
mistakes a week or so later and these are mappers I've given feedback to
within 24 hours of their mapping.  Yes there are some who have gone on to
become solid mappers but they aren't the majority.

At the moment I'm loading in sections of the map and correcting crossing
ways, highways that almost meet etc. normally without feedback.  It cleans
the map up but it would be better if we could catch the mistakes before
they are made.  JOSM will warn about crossing highways before uploading.
I'm not sure if iD etc does but there are many many many of them.

If you want more validators or people to do more validation I think you
have to ask yourselves can the job be made more attractive in some way and
error prevention might help.

Cheerio John