[HOT] Mapping settlements best practices

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:29:00 UTC 2017

In Africa where we see small groups of huts clustered with other groups
typically 100 meters apart some mappers will map each small cluster some
draw a much larger landuse=residential covering perhaps a dozen small
groupings.

When validating I accept either but I suspect the multiple small
landuse=residential is much more useful than the more sparsely populated
larger method but it is only a suspicion.

If it is, is there somewhere where we show the "best practice" method for
mapping these settlements?

http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1396#task/2151 is an example of one.

Thanks John