[HOT] Study: validation feedback can provide important social affirmation

Martin Dittus martin at dekstop.de
Wed Feb 8 00:34:04 UTC 2017

After my talk at State of the Map in Brussels, Nick Allen asked: are newcomers more likely to be retained if we give them positive validation feedback? I had no answer at the time, but Tyler kindly gave me permission to look at the data to find out. The resulting findings are now under peer review, and I will share the full research once the process has concluded.

In the meantime, I just posted a diary entry with the key findings:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dekstop/diary/40421

Do post a comment in case you have any questions. Or maybe you have made your own observations that can contribute to a better understanding of the impact of validation?

Greetings from London,

m.