[HOT] note to Project Managers: Highway=road

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 22:42:39 UTC 2017

Currently there are HOT projects that include in the instructions the words

"If you are unsure of what tag to assign to a road, use the provisional
highway=road tag."

Yes but many routing systems ignore this these.  When we mapped with GPS
traces we used highway=road because you didn't know if it was a motorway or
a footway with steps and that's why many routing systems ignore them and
JOSM validation flags them.

I would suggest if in doubt use highway=unclassified for instructions.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Cheerio John