[HOT] Feedback about the Tasking Manager

Florian Niel florian.niel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:25:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

In December 2016 I found HOT by accident and started contributing. Now I
have seen some different types of projects and want to give feedback
about the tasking manager.

1) Information for new users:
I think it is really good. The system with the description and the
instrucions first is really helpful. Maybe some images of the most
common mistakes plus how it should be done in the instructions window
would help the not English speaking mappers to avoid mistakes.

2) Questions about a project
I wish there was a comment section for every project where anyone can
ask general questions. For example if I realize that same things are
being mapped differently, I coud ask how it should be done and everybody
would see the answer. Right now I can just send a personal note to the
project manager or ask the question in the square-comment-box. Both ways
are not helpful to other mappers as they cannot see it.
For the Aweil project this possibility exists as a separate website
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/JanBohmMSF/diary/40072) and has been
very helpful for me and other mappers.

3) Information for validators
I soon started validating easy projects after some weeks. I thought I
had seen enough and tried to do like the other validators. I did not
know about the wiki page for validation (I just found it today). It
would have been great if the tasking manager had showed me the link to
the wiki or other useful information for validators when I clicked the
"Review the work" button the first time.
Or even better, provide a second button next to the "Review the work"
button which says something like "Validation instructions" which directs
you to the validation wiki page (or something similar, but
project-specific). I think this would encourage more mappers to start
validating.

Best,
Florian