[HOT] Could we get more out of our mappers by asking for less?

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Mon Feb 27 11:04:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you use 'w' in JOSM there is hardly ever a need to delete user's
> contributions. It's really easy to drag the corners where they need to be,
> then finish of with 'q' to square the building.
>
> Polyglot

This is a good tip, I forgot about this one for fixing up mapping.

If I do feel the need to re-map from scratch, I do it on a blank
layer, then merge the layer with the existing mapping layer, then use
Replace Geometry for each building pair (old and new). I estimate it
takes only about 10% longer than just totally re-mapping from scratch,
but that is worth it to me to keep the history and original mapper's
contribution.

Video demonstration of that process: https://youtu.be/Kv5AOmX8M9g

Thanks again Polyglot for reminding us about Improve Way for improving
building mapping.

Cheers
Blake