[HOT] MapaNica.net - Next steps (Improve bus network; osm2gtfs)

Felix Delattre felix.delattre at hotosm.org
Wed Jan 4 14:09:04 UTC 2017

Dear HOT community,

you may remember the MapaNica.net initiative, OpenStreetMap's local
chapter of Nicaragua, and the project to create a proper bus map of a
Central American city: http://rutas.mapanica.net/mapa/
Here is the talk from State of the Map, Brussels:
http://2016.stateofthemap.org/2016/nicaraguas-new-crowd-sourced-bus-map/

The community continues with two projects and I wanted to give you short
update and requests for support:

*Improving the public transportation system of Managua, Nicaragua*
In cooperation with MIT the community wants to improve the data of the
bus network and propose better solutions to the city:
https://experiment.com/projects/improving-the-public-transportation-system-of-managua-nicaragua/
There is a crowd-sourcing campaign to finance this effort. Please
support MapaNica.net if you can.

*osm2gtfs*
In a team with people from Brazil and Costa Rica we are collaborating on
a generic script to export OpenStreetMap public transport data, combine
it with schedule information and export valid GTFS (quasi standard for
public transport information): https://github.com/grote/osm2gtfs
Please don't hesitate to jump on board and support the development with
code, it is an open project and everybody is welcome. And don't hesitate
to contact me directly in case of any doubts.

Happy new year!
Felix