[HOT] OSM in historical research

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 16:13:44 UTC 2017

Might be slightly off topic, but I've made a map combining OSM (with a
roads overlay) with several historical maps of Belgium I found, as well as
GPS data (OSM and Strava).
I find it incredibly fun to play with.

http://play.osm.be/historischekaart.html#15/50.7756/4.2953/osmroads-basemap1873

To my pleasant surprise, this map is now used by people interested in right
of way paths, as a resource to help them defend existing paths or re-open
closed paths. In fact, the attention from the community doing that for this
map, has created at least one new mapper. (they see having a path in OSM as
one more way to protect a path)

Just this week, the historical maps hosted by the Irish OSM community was
also mentioned in the Weekly.

:

> Dear HOT community,
>
> I am writing to see if there are others on the listserv who use OSM (or
> OpenHistoricalMap) to study & teach about the past. For example, I am a
> historian of early modern France, and I use OSM in an undergraduate course
> on the history of mapping from the renaissance to the present.
>
> I’m compiling a resource for other humanities scholars who may be
> interested in using OSM as part of their research workflows or teaching. If
> you are willing to describe how you use OSM, I would be very glad to hear
> from you. If anyone has suggestions for other groups to reach out to, I
> would be grateful.
>
> Many thanks,
> Katherine McDonough
> Research Associate in Digital Humanities
> Western Sydney University
> +61 (0)468 461 257
> kmcdono.com

Joost Schouppe