[HOT] Open Data and OSM

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 20:15:51 UTC 2017

I'm trying to approach this is a generalised manner.  I'm seeing a number
of older imports that were not the highest quality.

So is there somewhere that documents the steps involved?

What triggered this one was I was cleaning up in Ghana and noticed about a
hundred streets had been added with no highway tag. I queried someone and
got this reply.

"This was a project we did mapping out streets in Sunyani Municipal

We have alot of such data sitting on hard drives. I wanted to know if there
are ways i could easily upload all the data on roads we have for other
districts in Ghana. I will be glad if you could teach me how to do that so
i can train our town and country planners to be able to do so."

So one issue is just how to tag but there are many other issues as well
here.  Ghana could definitely do with the data.  If we can get the process
and rules set up then we can add the data.  Both NGOs and municipal
governments can make use of OSM and not just in Africa but it needs a
process.  It needs a list to say have you thought about the following. Is
your data licence modelled on <The data is licensed under the Open Data
License Version 2.0 (Ottawa ODL 2.0) which has been approved by the DWG:>
etc.  I'm seeing this sort of thing in Zambia, in Ghana etc. Denis's post
actually covers much of this in documenting what was done for a particular
import.

Answering a few questions should help:
- Who funded the data collection?
- Who organised/coordinated the data collection?

One of them would be the best person to know the current license of the
data and it would be easy to decide if it can be imported.

Its quite possible nobody thought of it and it is unlicensed, in which case
document in as much detail how the data was sourced and a public statement
of an OSM compatible license. If there is nobody to challenge this claim
among the data creators, it should be safe to use the data.

Cheerio John

>>> http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Contributor_Terms