[HOT] residential roads within built-up areas

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 12:32:17 UTC 2017

Hi Bjoern,

Generally roads that are part of the larger road network
infrastructure and serve as connections between settlements but also
pass through those settlements are not down tagged to "residential"
roads when they pass through settlements.

In looking over the wiki, I swear it used to say that secondary,
tertiary and unclassifed tags were typically used in settlements for
major roads, but I do not see that text anymore.

Residential roads are roads whose primary function is access to
housing. If the primary function of the road is to connect settlements
and it just happens to pass through some residential area I generally
leave it as the larger road classification. If the speed limit or
other restrictions are placed on it when it passes through
settlements, those can be added later as part of the local mapping and
iterative refinement process.

If you are local to Lusaka, you should connect up with Trudy Hope who
is also in Lusaka.

Cheers
Blake