[HOT] residential roads within built-up areas

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 13:02:02 UTC 2017

Hi Joseph,

> I wouldn't (although I know nobody asked me).

You are on this list - so yes, you were asked! :)

Thanks for the comments.

> There are currently 37.2 million residential ways in OSM. So not sparse
> and most likely a consensus exists already as to the meaning of residential.

It would be good to work out what that consensus is. Esp. for mapathons
there need to be clear rules that beginners can follow.

E.g. with residential areas, I'd say that instructions are often poorly
communicated to new mappers, and therefore residential areas are quite
random, see our webinar in about 2 hours :)

Bjoern