[HOT] Highway Tag Africa wiki

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 18:40:12 UTC 2017

Part of the problem is the existing mapping and what is currently
understood by end users.  Changes to the user interface no matter what it
is are expensive in time.  Tutorials need to be translated if we are to
continue to map in a coordinated way.

Routing software needs to know whether to route a motorcycle along the
highway or not.  Are we saying that paths are usable by motorcycles?

Highway unclassified should be routable by anything but whether the highway
is passable at a particular time of year or not is different.

The existing highway tagging needs cleaning up.  It's not as accurate as it
could be.  Strangely enough HOT is helping here by having people go over
existing parts of the map in a systematic way.  Some of the tracks
connecting settlements are getting retagged to unclassified by the mappers
or validators in the process.

Cheerio John