[HOT] Join tomorrow the Mapathon over the Boko Haram affected, Diffa Region in Niger

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 22:46:02 UTC 2017

Hi,

You are welcome to join us this Saturday, June 17 for a mapathon over the
Diffa Region in Niger here: http://taches.francophonelibre.org/project/149 !

In Niamey along with members from OSM Communities from Niger, Benin,
Burkina Faso and Togo, with the support of Organisation Internationale de
la Francophonie, we have been coordinating since last Monday a couple of
two-weeks long workshops about free Geomatics tools and opendata, for the
benefit of Geography students and professionals from various backgrounds.
As usual, we will organize a mapathon during the first Saturday, involving
all the workshop participants and members of local OSM community. We will
continue the work the days after, at least during our "maptimes" when
starts every new training day.

The area has been identified by OCHA Niger with the aim of using the data
produced during a two-days workshop including InaSAFE for the local IM GIS
Working Group they lead: the Diffa Region on the Southern-Eastern part of
the country around the border with Nigeria, unfortunately affected by
frequent terrorist attacks from Boko Haram.

Analysing the existing OSM data shows almost all the inhabited places have
been mapped as residential areas. Extracted with Overpass, they allowed us
to create a large Tasking Manager project focused only on them. A priority
area has been added between Diffa and Bosso (see in pink) thanks to the
recent UNOCHA maps and OCHA Niger IM GIS request.

The goal is to map all the buildings and huts in order to use InaSAFE to
get impact scenarios of attacks on both structures and the population
(estimated from the buildings) as we did last week in Mali for the flooded
area in Markala.

For sure the tasks are numerous on this priority area but many of them are
quick and easy to achieve considering the hold only a few buildings.

Looking forward you contribution,

Sincerely,

Severin