[HOT] Mapping with Kids

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Fri Jun 30 23:50:25 UTC 2017

Hi Heather and all,

Marco from Politecnico di Milano has been organizing similar events with
even younger kids (fifth-graders!) and the results were impressive. I'm
sure he'd be happy to share his opinions and experience.

Some links:

https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2016-03-09_200_kids_map_swaziland_for_malaria_elimination
http://www.geoforall.org/webinars/ (scroll down to the May 5th 2016 webinar)

Happy mapping!

Cristiano

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Steven Johnson <sejohnson8 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Heather & list,
> tl;dr; - Let's chat.
>
> Since the beginning of the year, TeachOSM has been collaborating with the
> American Geographical Society[1] to host a series of online workshops for
> high school (but also college) instructors. The workshops are designed to
> augment basic mapping training by helping teachers take the next step of
> integrating open mapping to their curricula., The workshops also act as
> an ongoing support service and forum for project development.
>
> As part of this collaboration, we're pulling together a 4-part Open
> Mapping Summer Camp for teachers. It has not been announced yet as details
> are still pending. But our plan is to introduce and test the modules in the
> TeachOSM for High School curriculum[2]. The curriculum is designed to
> compliment the AP Human Geography curriculum.[3]
>
> That's the gist of it. Happy to chat with any and all. Cheers,
>
> SEJ
>
> [1] http://americangeo.org
> [2] https://github.com/shawnmgoulet/teachosm-for-high-school
> [3] https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-human-geography
>
> -- SEJ
> -- twitter: @geomantic
> -- skype: sejohnson8
>
> Wretches, utter wretches, keep your hands from beans! - Empedocles, *Fragments,
> 141.*
>
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> Many of you have teaching experience and have shared curriculum on
>> TeachOSM. I'd be keen to talk with anyone who has does mapping workshops
>> with high school students.
>>
>> This week I held a session with Ecole Internationale Geneva focused on
>> Missing Maps techniques. The session plan is listed in the blog post.
>>
>> http://media.ifrc.org/ifrc/2017/06/29/data-ifrc-maps-kids-
>> humanitarian-outreach-16/
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Heather