[HOT] Starting a new mapping project

Manuel Claeys Bouuaert manuel.claeys.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 10:01:36 UTC 2017

Hi Blake

Thanks for your fast response! I've just sending you a shapefile of the
Okapi national park in Northeast DRC through we-transfer- here
<https://we.tl/MRhFoiTbSO> is the download link again.

The participating organisations would be the Wildlife Conservation Society
(WCS), and NGO focused on protecting species worldwide, and the
International Peace Information Service (IPIS), and NGO delivering data and
analysis on peace topics, sustainable development and the fulfilment of
human rights.

The aim would be to map road, residential areas and if possible (illegal)
artisanal mining activities in the park. There are many stresses in the
national parks of DRC, including deforestation, illegal hunting (poaching)
and armed-actor controlled artisanal mining.

Both organisations are dedicated to work to reduce these tensions and work
towards durable peace. WCS does this with the focus on safe and well
organised park service, bringing stability tho the animals and people
living in the park. IPIS has a lot of experience with mapping artisanal
mining sites, and diffusing such information to inform actors in the peace
process.

Disclosure: I currently work at IPIS Research.

Looking forward to hear back from you!