[HOT] Broken (multi)polygon cleanup

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Mar 15 15:06:05 UTC 2017

Hi!

There are many broken (multi)polygon geometries in OSM data leading to
all sorts of problems. I have started an effort to get this cleaned up.
You can read more about this at http://area.jochentopf.com/ .

This effort has been running for about a month now and we can already see
some good results. See https://github.com/osmlab/fixing-polygons-in-osm/issues/15
for some news about what's been happening.

I am writing to the HOT list today, because a not-so-small part of the
problems come from HOT mappers. For instance, looking at one particular
problem here (spikes in closed ways), I am seeing about 5800 errors, of
which about 1600 are in areas covered by the HOT tasking manager. (Of
couse not all of these have been done in the course of HOT mapping, but
probably most of them.)

I am reaching out to some of the regional OSM communities and also to
HOT, because I want to a) ask for the help of all the communities in OSM
to fix those errors and b) generally raise awareness, so those problems
can be minimized in the future.

Please go to the web sites linked above and read up on what the problems
are and how we are fixing them. I also want to offer my help in
preparing special data extracts or Maproulette challenges etc. to help
the HOT community participate in the cleaning up effort in a way that
makes sense to you. I could, for instance, put those 1600 errors
mentioned above in a special Maproulette challenge, if that would be a
good way for HOT mappers to work on them.

Tell me what you think. I appreciate any feedback.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688