[HOT] Optimal NAS tech specifications to serve imagery tiles

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:58:01 UTC 2017

​an old post giving details.

John​

Matt Sayler <matt.sayler at gmail.com>
15/08/2016
to me, Laura, hot
POSM & Red Cross had an excellent presentation at SOTMUS, and Seth
mentioned he'd be willing to set some up for the cost of hardware and
brownies (I assume that will become dependent on demand/appetite):
http://stateofthemap.us/2016/field-mapping-at-scale/

Nutshell: POSM is for mapping in low/no service areas. It can serve as a
local, disconnected OSM server, which can later push changes up to the main
OSM when in an area with service. They primarily use Intel NUC's (~$350 for
all hardware, runs off ~6w), but have installed it on Rasberry Pi, Intel
Edison, Beagle Bone, etc. I'm not aware of them doing a usb bootable
install, but might be possible? Red Cross uses $50 Android phones & Field
Papers for doing the mapping.

Pretty freaking cool project!

https://github.com/AmericanRedCross/posm