[HOT] Research Projects on Damage Assessment

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Wed May 3 06:48:11 UTC 2017

Hello team,

Over the last months HOT has been engaged on two different research
projects about damage assessment after a disaster using crowdsourced
methods.

The first project is looking at levels of damage and how these could
be estimated using statistical functions from the data being produced
by microtasking assessments. Towards the end of the month, we will be
launching some experiments using the pybossa platform for anyone to
contribute. You can read more about this project here:

https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2017-04-26_hot_research_partnership_on_crowdsourced_damage_assessment

The second project, funded by the European Space Agency and developed
with our partners at IIASA, is focused on rapidly determining the
spatial extent of damaged areas after a large disaster. We are
launching our first experiment campaign today, and you can read more
about the project here:

https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2017-05-02_rapid_mapping_of_damage_extent_after_a_disaster

Through both these research projects we hope to develop methods that
we can then integrate into HOT's mapping workflow, and improve the way
we respond and prioritize areas.

We'd love to hear your feedback and if you can spare a few minutes,
please contribute directly to the first test campaign over at Picture
Pile (http://www.geo-wiki.org/games/picturepile).

Cheers,

Cristiano, Robert, Melanie, Benni and Blake

--
Cristiano Giovando
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org