[HOT] Chequerboard Pattern

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Wed May 17 20:55:42 UTC 2017

I certainly have noticed this. It drives me nuts to be honest.

I remember during the Nepal response mapping I did nothing but fixing up ugly square bits of forest. I think a few other people joined in with this too, because these days I can see we've mostly eliminated them across that massive area.
I don't know what the solution is really. I think the statutory instructions should be *Do not add square bits of forest*... but not sure if everyone would agree, and I guess people will do it anyway. Anyone have other ideas?

In the case you mentioned we have an old archived TM project at  http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/816  . which did actually ask for forest data:

"Also of interest are "gallery forests" (forests that form corridors along rivers or wetlands and project into landscapes that are otherwise only sparsely treed), as these are prime tsetse fly habitat (natural=wood)."

Particularly fiddly details to map, so it would take a lot of effort to finish it off and eliminate the chequerboard effect there. Seems messy that it's just left like that though.

Harry