[HOT] Intermediate and Advanced mappers - Your experience is urgently needed for Iran-Iraq Earthquake

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Thu Nov 16 02:02:18 UTC 2017

Dear Friends,

Mappers of every experience level make a real difference in the lives
of people around the world everyday through mapping.

After several months of mapping and a few hundred changesets in OSM
you have gained enough feedback and experience to be in the
intermediate and maybe even the advanced mapper groups.

For many different reasons not a lot of people ever do enough mapping
to reach those higher levels of experience and expertise.

Because there are a lot fewer folks with your level of experience,
projects requiring that level of experience can be very difficult to
get completed and validated.

The mapping in Iran and Iraq in response to the earthquake there a few
days ago is just that kind of mapping that needs experienced people.

We are still in the that initial phase, the first 7 days, when we are
in response and rescue mode, your experience is needed. Please visit
the Tasking Manager, https://tasks.hotosm.org/ and support the folks
on the ground dealing with this crisis.

You also will find your level of experience is very needed in South
Asia, Mexico and Puerto Rico as they continue to recover from the
crises that devastated those areas.

Intermediate and Advanced mappers, please use the pull down menu in
the Tasking Manager to find projects that need your experience.
Obviously sometimes you will need to apply your skills to projects
that are great for beginners too, but please check on a regular basis
for projects that are restricted to your experience level.

Newer mappers: Please keep mapping and let us know how we can support
you in your path to becoming an experienced mapper. One of the great
things about mapping is that with every easy building you trace in a
new mappers project, you are helping put someone on the map and
building up your own skills and experience at the same time.

Respectfully,
Blake