[HOT] Progression, Re: Mapping buildings with new mappers at a maperthon

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 14:14:57 UTC 2017

I think my thoughts are more we are adding mapping to OpenStreetMap, we are
not mapping in support of one charity or project.

Many many people use OpenStreetMap.  One of my favourite charities is one
that digs one or two water wells each year.  I think its Belgian and its
made up of a group of two or three water engineers who in their summer
vacation go out to Africa and construct one or two wells.

There are delivery companies, well two men and one motorcycle, that use OSM
to deliver goods.  They add value both to the person they are delivering
too and a spot of income to themselves.

They are dependent on OSM mappers making the map available.

When I look at an area that has been mapped by a group of remote mappers I
see the buildings that have been added but I also see what is best
described as junk.  Highways can be cleaned up although the number that are
labelled tracks is far too high but buildings are another matter altogether.

It takes 3 or 4 seconds to correctly map a building in JOSM with the
plugin.  It takes probably three or four times that to correct a badly
mapped building.  Basically you're asking someone to spend more time
correcting junk than it would do to map it from scratch.  Not only that but
the people running the maperthons are not taking responsibility for making
sure the mapping is correct.  I get the impression they are walking away
from it and hoping someone else will correct it.  For one new mapper fine
the community will sort out the mistakes etc. but leaving comments on
changesets doesn't work for mappers who will map once or twice and have no
idea what a changeset is and the community doesn't have the resources to
handle the very large number of poor edits left by a maperthon.

I think we need to think about how much mapping we are getting out of the
mappers.  I often see six to twelve buildings from a single mapper that
have been left untagged with the same HOT project code.  This is a
ridiculously low number of buildings for an hour's mapping.  Yes the
mappers time is free but we should be making better use of their time to
get more out of them.

I've added tags to thousands of buildings in Africa that weren't tagged.

Yes we can say we've added 500,000 buildings in the last month but how many
are accurate enough to do analysis on.  By that I mean get the square
footage so we can estimate population. How many doses of vaccine do we
need?  How many were mapped but not correctly tagged?  Landuse=residential
on a hundred separate buildings close together?

Yes I have a bee in my bonnet but prevention is usually cheaper than
cleaning up afterwards.  I'm not saying JOSM is the only editor to use but
for buildings at the moment it is much easier for a new mapper to use.  I
think there has been mention of a building_tool for iD that would work fine
but the mixture we have at the moment isn't working very well.

Cheerio John