[HOT] Surveys and studies

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 20:20:49 UTC 2017

At Statistics Canada they have a concept of respondent burden.  Basically
it means you try to limit the number of questions you ask people whilst
still trying to get the answers in.  Is this information available from
another survey?

May I suggest a more formal arrangement where a survey is organised say
every three / six months and researchers submit their questions to be
included in the survey?  This is done for a number of surveys at Statistics
Canada and is a useful way to include one or two additional / supplementary
questions to a survey.

The advantage to the people running the studies is hopefully a wider set of
respondents making their surveys more statistically valid.  The advantage
to the mappers are fewer messages in the mailing lists and fewer surveys
asking to be completed.

At the very least I'm sure Zoe and Laura could see if the data from their
surveys could feed the other.

There are other things that could be done such as random sampling then
following up with the randomly selected sample this reduces self selection.

Thoughts?

Thanks John