[HOT] HOT is activating for Hurricane Irma

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Thu Sep 7 07:08:21 UTC 2017

Dear friends,

HOT has activated to support the Hurricane Irma response. We have good
contacts with local responding organizations and international
responding orgs.

I am working on announcing it more widely, it was just done in the
last few hours and trying to get people to help with the activation.

We are working through the assessment of the activation protocol, but
considering all of the current situation, it is affecting a wide scale
area, a storm of great magnitude and we have good contacts with
responding organizations. We do not have any specific requests yet. We
reviewed Copernicus covered delineation maps and Copernicus rated as
no damage and they were well mapped.

We are working off of the various hurricane forecasting products, like
the National Hurricane Center to focus and prioritize the mapping
while we monitor the international local response channels for help
with prioritization.

Expect projects to change fast and often the priory area in a project
will change, please review instructions often as they may keep you
updated on the project.

We have focused so far on the Leeward Islands, which were already very
well mapped, but we have filled in, fixed minor issues and validated 3
island groups so far which will be pushed to HDX

OpenStreetMap US has also started reviewing road data in the most
likely affect counties.

Please spread the word.

The URL for Irma projects is: http://bit.ly/IrmaMapProjects

The tweet announcing it to retweet is:
https://twitter.com/hotosm/status/905612899867119616

Dale, Nate, Mhairi and myself are working the activation primarily.

The coordination channel is on our slack, but we are happy to keep IRC
updated as well.

Join the team ( https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/ ) and then /join
#disaster-mapping if you want to help with or watch the activation
coordination.

Mhairi created the OSM wiki page for this activation:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2017_Hurricane_Irma

I believe that the Haiti-Talk list has some traffic related to prep
for how this might affect Haiti and it would be really helpful if
speakers of French would join that list to help keep the two
communities well connected. (
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ht )

Respectfully,
Blake