[HOT] Open Location Code

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 17:20:07 UTC 2018

Hi all,

For anyone that would like to visualize that the Open Location Code
grid looks like, I took some screen shots of it overlayed with some
imagery.

The smallest squares in the examples each have a 10 character OLC
number/letter code. You will notice like every grid, the real world is
not on a grid and many structures are in more than one grid. (Every
grid system has this problem).

The next up larger size of square is the square for an 8 character OLC
number/letter code. It obviously groups a lot more buildings together,
almost the small village scale, but again, they will usually be part
in two, just like a structure.

Anyway, thought folks who like to see things visualized in some way to
help understand them might benefit from looking at what exactly we are
talking about.

I would like to see a way to have a better, more informative grid in
all our tools, so like a TMS layer or support in OpenLayers or leaflet
or something. The grid is based on WGS84 degrees already so anything
that helps draw a graticule can just be adapted to have different
major lines and list the shortened OLC instead of the degrees.

https://twitter.com/BlakeGirardot/status/1028689726088388609

Cheers
blake

Cheers