[HOT] Open Location Code

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 13 18:39:49 UTC 2018

May be but there's no need at all of OLC codes in the database itself. The
OLC code is a rough rounding of actual coordinates, and coordinates are on
all objets with much more precision.

May be you can design a query application that allows you to enter an OLC
code and zoom to it, or get the OSM data in the grid cell indicated by the
OLC code. This is not to the OSM database to do that (and note that there
are also other competing "abbreviation geolocation codes", OLC is just one
of them. Even barcodes/QR codes, are also usable and can represent
coordinates.

Another copyrighted  (non-free) code uses Emojis instead of letters/digits:
may be easy to identify visually but very complicate to input ! It's just
simpler and much faster to input these codes by zooming/padding/pointing on
the map with a finger or mouse.

And note that geographic planes are probably starting to be something of
the past: using grids visually seems to be defavored now for 3D projection
without any grid with regular rectangles. Soon too, OSM will go with vector
rendering and navigation with cameras on the ground at variable altitude
and ascencion instead of just a single vertical and single rotation
orentiation. goegraphic planes will just be used to show some statistics of
the world on a static map (without the limitation of seeing only one
hemisphere, and arbitrary choice of the observer camera direction and
distance)