[HOT] The point on the OSM Response to the DR Congo Nord Kivu Ebola outbreak

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:19:53 UTC 2018

Hi Pierre, hi Ralph,

I agree with Ralph, that we need to have the right tools for the job.

- on dec.5 with beginners, participation, 3,025 buildings were edited but
> 40.2% with irregular shapes

Certain aspects of newcomer training could be more standardised. For
example, at the Cambridge mapathons, we aimed to provide very concrete
guidelines regarding how buildings should and should not be mapped, showing
several good/bad examples. (The slides are on the drive:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xFDiMaWRj1RBlXzVYlKp06yE2Ja9Q5rmD9-bPDp1TWo/edit#slide=id.g2326c0c777_5_273,
see building mapping in iD). During the talk, we used to go through this
quickly, but people would have the slides available (digitally) to check
them in their own time. Maybe many other mapathons use similar slides, it
may just be that I haven't seen them.

I'd developed a demonstrator for a real-time tool a little while ago which
(through overpass queries) monitored edits made during a mapathon, allowing
the identification of users that aren't mapping, or aren't mapping as well
as expected. Now, this was just a proof of concept, but IMHO people running
a mapathon should have access to such a tool (properly developed), allowing
them to spot problems then and there, i.e. spot newcomers who need a little
extra help to get started, rather than only seeing these issues at
validation stage.

Crowdsourcing is great, but beginner mapping is not completely trivial -
more discourse around effective training, offering the right tools,
catching issues early etc would be good. I'd be quite happy to coordinate
some action research around all this to help move the agenda forward (if
there are people who can dedicate time to this so the effort per person is
reasonable.)

Bjoern