[HOT] Slack closing "suspect" accounts with connections to certain countries.

John Crowley bostoncello at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 20:04:18 UTC 2018

It might be wise to read Slack's apology for this mistake alongside the
article quoted above:
https://slackhq.com/an-apology-and-an-update

Export controls on US software will likely continue to be place for the
short list of countries with US trade embargoes. This goes for almost all
commercial software (see Microsoft's policy here:
https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE1s5kI). Export
controls continue to be an issue for many humanitarian organizations who
work in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

Slack's note (above) indicates that *Slack itself may not work in those
countries, but the user will not be removed*; just the use of the software:

"Users who travel to a sanctioned country may not be able to access Slack
> while they remain in that country. However, we will not deactivate their
> account and they will be able to access Slack when they return to countries
> or regions for which no blocking is required."

Best,

John

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 7:37 AM John Whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have visited certain countries you maybe at risk.  For example many
> Canadians have been having legal vacations in Cuba for years but according
> to the article Slack has closed an account of someone who legally visited
> Cuba.
>
> Cheerio John
>
> Jorieke Vyncke wrote on 2018-12-27 5:44 AM:
>
> Hi John,
> Thanks for bringing this up.
> Does this mean we are excluding by default certain people by using Slack?
> Cheers,
> Jorieke
>
> Op vr 21 dec. 2018 om 00:45 schreef John Whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>:
>
>> You may lose access to messages and files.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46642760
>>
>> Just something to be aware of.
>>
>> Cheerio John

> --
> Sent from Postbox
> <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=siglink&utm_campaign=reach>

John Crowley
jcrowley at post.harvard.edu
bostoncello at gmail.com
mobile: +1 617.784.3663
skype: johnrcrowley

“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it.
You must learn to see the world anew.” -- Albert Einstein