[HOT] LGBTQ people at HOT Summit? [WAS: SAVE THE DATE Aug 27-Sep 2: HOT and FOSS4G Together in Tanzania]

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Feb 16 16:09:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

So the HOT Summit is in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. But, erm, it's illegal
to be gay in Tanzania[1]. Travel advice from the UK[2] and US[3]
governments repeats that: "Homosexuality is not tolerated".

The code of conduct for this conference[4] is (mostly) excellent, it
covers "sexual orientation". But that's impossible in a country with
such laws.

(IMO) this conference cannot be a safe space for LGBTQ people[5]. We
have the strange situation of HOT saying "This is a safe space for LGBTQ
people, but follow the law which makes your existence illegal"[6]. I am
flabbergasted at how HOT can think this can be a safe space, and HOT
runs the risk of looking like they don't know what a safe space is...

There's nothing wrong (IMO) with a CoC adapted to local laws[7]. But
please be honest. The conference venue is homophobic. HOT should delete
the "sexual orientation" parts from your CoC. SotM Africa 2017 in Uganda
had a similar CoC[8], and similar laws. There is talk about (good) CoCs
being mandatory for events, and if this is what passes as a CoC, then
we've already given up.

There's an argument about how far to go ("This country's
anti-discrimination law doesn't go as far as my home country! Racist
country!"), but I think there should be *a* line. Let's talk about that.
"Illegal to be gay or trans[9]" is (IMO) a good line for LGBTQ issues.

It looks like limiting LGBTQ attendance wasn't a deal breaker for HOT,
or that diversity/inclusivity just isn't thought about much, which is sad.

--
Rory

[1] Technically same-sex sex is illegal, and so is having a same-sex
spouse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Tanzania
[2] https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tanzania/local-laws-and-customs
[3]
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Tanzania.html
[4] http://2018.foss4g.org/code-of-conduct.html
[5] Same-sex sex is illegal in TZ, along with having a same sex spouse.
I haven't see anything on trans laws, but I think we can guess.
[6] https://twitter.com/hotosm/status/964252343318532096
[7] I propose: "If the event covers a region where it's legal to
be gay, then the event cannot be held in a place where it's illegal to
be gay." This makes SotM Africa (or global SotM) in Uganda wrong, but
SotM Tanzania in Tanzania OK. "SotM East Africa" in Uganda would be OK.
[8]
https://web.archive.org/web/20170710101126/http://sotmafrica.org:80/registration/code-of-conduct/
[9] "illegal to be trans" is often laws against "crossdressing". This is
happening now in Aceh, Indonesia, and the modern Gay Pride parades
sprung from such a law in New York, USA in 1969.

(I've been to Tanzania a few times, and it's a great country, Dar &
Zanzibar are wonderful tourist destinations, and I totally recommend the
area. But LGBTQ folk need to be careful.)