[HOT] Using Wifi to make phone calls from mobiles using a router.

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:12:52 UTC 2018

Hi John, Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the post. I'd written this reply before Philippe posted, but not
hit sent, sorry. Let me send it anyway.

To explain further: Unless one router extends the network of the other,
each phone would be behind a firewall created by the router. So you'd have
to place the phone in the DMZ or port-forward on the router. Using
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSipSimple might be especially helpful if you
are doing point-to-point WiFi (without internet connection of either
router). A "192.168.x.x" is network internal, so you won't be able to
connect between "192.168.y.y". And even then, as Philippe points out, the
address of the router may not be fixed.

However, if the routers are connected to the internet, it would also be
possible to use commercial VOIP apps (like WhatsApp, Hangouts, Skype). I am
not sure how they route voice traffic these days, but Skype used to allow
peer-to-peer, which like Hangouts/WhatsApp should mean "peer-to-peer when
possible". In any case, for an app that just "handshakes" via the internet,
and then can use peer-to-peer, only the connectivity between the routers
matters. A nice feature would be if the app told you what it's doing (p2p
or via server) so that you know whether you're safe on WiFi or killing the
internet connection...

There is an app called FireChat, that apparently can do p2p off-internet.
It's proprietary, and I haven't looking into it much. However, it strikes
me that such an app would be really useful, especially server-less, with
the option to connect to a global network if available.

Is there anybody who wants to form a little action group to investigate?

Hope this helps!
Bjoern