[HOT] Using Wifi to make phone calls from mobiles using a router.

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 19:54:24 UTC 2018

Calling a user at an ip address is purely a technical solution that may or
may not be useful in the field.  To make it work it needs a set of clear
instructions.  How do you load the two apps for a start without an internet
connection, yes it can be done bit it needs to be documented. Yes the ip
addresses come from the router and are normally dynamic but some routers
will set up static ip addresses.  Even if they don't the ip addresses
change very slowly.

I totally agree that skype etc is better and there are solutions that will
connect csip to the normal phone network.

However every other solution I've seen needs special hardware.  A DNS
server for example or it needs a connection to the internet.

There are some mesh network apps but they depend on a minimum version of
Android.

>From a network point of view directly connecting the phones is much
satisfactory than crossing a mesh network especially for voice.

In the ideal world you'd unpack a laptop that had both Astrix (VOIP phone
exchange) and an email server such as Dovecot / Postfix.  Then use the
gmail app to connect to the local email server.  However that type of
solution requires a level of expertise to set up and maintain.

If you have a large area to cover then something like Commotion or
LibreMesh can be setup but they need special hardware.  Someone to set them
up and do a certain amount of maintenance.

For a small area and limited number of people and when no Internet or
special hardware is available then I think csip simple is worthy of
consideration.

Cheerio John