[HOT] Why the HOT obsession with low quality buildings in Africa ?

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 2 16:29:30 UTC 2018

I don't understand why the title speaks about an "obsession" when in fact
it just defines the minimum goal expected fo manage emergencies; OSM is
incremental can then continue building up on this base, including during
emergencies to requalify and add precision where needed by the emergency
teams. Locally they actively enhance the crowdsourced data, and even then
the local groups and world contributors can add their own work.
HOT is all about creating oppotunities to start with a solid base from
which we can develop new targets (not just for the recovery, but for longer
term development or conservation, or for planning, or new commercial
initiatives or to help better define new needs and help coordinate the
actions of different actors (with a faster response and more savings on
exploitation costs, human resources, or fine tuning and monitoring the
budgets and avoid wasting precious ressources that will be more useful
elsewhere instead of profiting only to small selected communities).