[HOT] What are the requirements for mapping buildings in Africa specifically in villages

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:17:46 UTC 2018

In the ideal world we can gain a lot of information from a perfectly mapped
building.

Unfortunately in the real world using beginners and editors without a
building_tool we end up with imperfectly mapped buildings.

Would we be better mapping them as nodes?  It faster and studies have shown
asking someone to 'hit the target in the center' is often more accurate
than more complex instructions.

Nodes can have building level etc associated with them.  It's only the more
sophisticated GIS applications that can make use of the building footprint
and these are often in specific urban areas.

So what are the requirements?

I would suggest as a first requirement we need some way clean up the
buildings if they are imperfect or map them in such a way it doesn't
matter.  ie nodes.  Currently it has been noted that validating buildings
does not appear to be attractive and it can take longer to correct a
building than to delete it and remap correctly.

Thoughts ladies and gentlemen please.

Thanks John