[HOT] Why the HOT obsession with low quality buildings in Africa ?

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Wed Jul 4 13:26:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, July 4, 2018 3:00 pm, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> You should also not focus too much on the exact level of accuracy of
> shapes. What is important is to have relative size, correct placement, but
> minor architectural details which do not remove the possibility of
> attaching additional data and does not prevent refining it later ('wheen
> there's a new need for that and actual usage) is not so important. So when
> detailing buildings, we just want to know initially how they are
> separated, soi that we can place addresses, POIs, determine the accesses
> (if there are pathways between them). [..]

>From my open JOSM, a couple areas of Bamako, from both sides of the Djoliba:
https://i.imgur.com/P6TcYOM.png
https://i.imgur.com/jSAGGxg.png

Those don't feature duplicates, intersections with highways and other
gross errors that might distract you - they are just typical samples of
geometry quality.

>From a quick glance I would say that, by your definition of acceptable
quality, about half of the building=yes there are usable... But a computer
won't know which half !