[HOT] Board Meeting Minutes March

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 13 16:17:28 UTC 2018

We should really improve the wiki coverage for at least all major cities (>
100k inhabitants) and capitals. As well as at least the primary divisions
of countries: this helps building local teams and get more "flat" support
of features across all regions, not just the more developed capital with
more participants. This also allows better planning of works to do so that
each country has an appropriate minimal coverage and helps local
communities to improve the minimal datasets needed by adding some topics
progressively.

We should not see in OSM countries only mapped in details in a few capitals
within a desert everywhere else: adding subdivisions will "connect" these
areas, and will help people better sense how their territory is planned and
where there are missing infrastructures. The (open) map is an essential
feature we want to offer to the general public to help understand their
territory and militate locally for more equal treatment by their local
governement, or will help them develop their activity with new
opportunities of local development and local cooperation, instead of just
counting on national or international providers. There are resources
everywhere, but they have to be managed to preserve them, avoid wasting
them or overusing them. And most often the local/nearby solutions don't
cost lot of money, people can do lot of things themselves even if they
don't have much money. The world generally needs more local initiatives and
more local cooperations (instead of falling into the "globalization market"
trap as the "universal", but costly and wasting, solution which is not
sustainable for the long term and does not offer alternatives as this trend
is also largely anticompetitive and in fact less adapted to the real
needs). We all want diversity in the world, and no uniform single solution
based on too strict "standards" of development.

Note that the Place template on the OSM wiki allows linking most Wikipedias
and has a parameter for Wikidata (to help maintain the Wikipedia links). It
also has two new parameters (borrowed from other localized Place
templates), to add a "boundary=id" and "node=id" to reference OSM objects:
clicking on it displays the OSM map with borders, allowing precise
positioning (lat= & lon=) of the map (from the boundary relation) and more
exact coverage of the full boundary: the maps rendered in Place articles
can be then sized precisely.

These links then allow checking Wikipedia articles or Wikidata with more
precise positions. I deliberately did not favor any language for Wikipedia
links. Even the smallest wikipedias can be useful, it provides additional
descriptions and talks, and relevant local topics that may be of interest
for mapping in OSM.