[HOT] [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Tool update from HOT: MapCampaigner

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Oct 8 12:27:41 UTC 2018

On Mon, October 8, 2018 1:02 am, Harry Wood wrote:

>> Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:
>> If one needs number to report back to donors, then integrate this
>> sort of thing with the task manager - and explain to donors how
>> erroneous data is sharply negative value
>
> I think this little "number to report back to donors" comment does betray
> a belief I've heard expressed quite often in the wider OSM community, that
> humanitarian mappers are allowing OpenStreetMap to be co-opted by large
> aid organisations [..]

In West Africa (the region where I have direct Openstreetmap experience
and personal engagement with individuals), most organized mapping projects
(rarely the largest contributions in terms of volume of data, but the most
productive ones in terms of enrolling new contributors and weaving
community connections) have at least some financial backing from
organizations, not necessarily large ones. The training cadre spans the
whole spectrum from pure volunteers to professionalized - and those are
accountable to their backers, who expect a bit of reporting, which
includes some measure of quantification. There is nothing wrong with that
perfectly normal requirement but, as any manager knows, the temptation is
strong to fulfil it using the easily available metrics.

Balancing the key performance indicators mix to better align objectives
with Openstreetmap's goals looks like a workable avenue of progress to me
- to everyone's benefit, but that requires conviction about the
complementary merits of quality vs. quantity and consensus about relevant
metrics. Completeness measurements such as MapCampaigner's most certainly
have a role to play, but my perception from wading in West African
changesets is that not producing erroneous data is a higher priority. That
conclusion may of course not apply to other regions I have no experience
with.