[HOT] Invitation - GeOnG 2018, October 29-31, the Humanitarian Data Forum

Martin Noblecourt m_noblecourt at cartong.org
Wed Oct 10 16:45:50 UTC 2018

Dear HOT community members,

I’m reaching out to you regarding the 6th edition of the GeOnG forum
that will take place in 3 weeks, from *October **29**th**to 31**st**in
Chambéry**, France*! (1h from Geneva, 3 from Paris or Milano...)

Organized by CartONG <http://cartong.org/>, the GeOnG addresses the use
of data in the humanitarian & development sectors, including topics
related to mapping & GIS, mobile data collection, information
management, and more generally the use of new technologies by
humanitarian organizations - as you can see in our 2018 GeOnG teaser
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIleghdpHQ&t=8s>. It’s one of the
biggest independent forum on the topic in Europe, with an average of 140
participants from 70 organizations in the last two editions.

This year’s theme is: *“Perfection” versus “Good Enough” in Information
Management: Adjusting to context, scale, phase, and funding*. We have
planned together with several members of the HOT/OSM ecosystem many
sessions that would be very relevant for you I think; including:

  * A panel discussion on "Machine Learning & AI on satellite imagery
    for mapping" (much linked with the discussion started by Nate a few
    weeks ago )
  * A panel discussion on "What business model for digital commons in
    the humanitarian sector?" with several project examples inc. the
    Tasking Manager
  * A workshop ran by Gaurav from the Kathmandu Living Lab on "Maps with
    and for the beneficiaries"
  * A workshop by the team from University of Heidelberg on advanced use
    of OSM data
  * But also many more sessions & trainings on data protection, coding
    on Git, basic & advanced GIS, data collection, webmapping, etc.

You can register to the GeOnG directly on our website
<http://cartong.org/geong/2018/registration>, and also find there the
practical information
<http://cartong.org/geong/2018/practical-information> to plan your trip
to Chambéry, a provisional agenda <http://cartong.org/geong/2018/agenda>
that we will update as sessions get confirmed, a snapshot of
participating organizations
<http://cartong.org/geong/2018/participants>, and last but not least
thelist of our sponsors <http://cartong.org/geong/2018/partnerships>
that make the event possible. Please notice that our budget doesn't
allow us to cover the travel or more than a handful of speakers so we
won't be able to offer an open scholarship system, sorry!

We would be very happy to have you as part of our event! If you have any
questions, feel free to contact me.

We’re looking forward to seeing you in our French Alps. Thank you for
your time and attention!

--
CartONG- Humanitarian mapping and information management
<http://www.cartong.org>

Martin Noblecourt

Missing Maps project manager

Email: m_noblecourt at cartong.org <mailto:m_noblecourt at cartong.org> |
Skype: martin.noblecourt
Phone: +33 (0)4 79 26 28 82 | Mobile: +33 (0)6 04 09 74 19

Address:Chambéry, France - Lat: 45°34'50''N | Lon: 5°55'13''E

GeOnG 2018 - The humanitarian data forum - 29-30-31 October Chambéry, France