[HOT] counting buildings - ( 2020 project ) - help please.

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:39:34 UTC 2018

One problems with this mapping project is it is difficult to see how many
have been mapped.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020

So I've been playing.  The .OSM data structure does not lend it self easily
to this sort of thing.  In particular you don't know when you read a line
in if you want to count it or not.  The critical thing is does the way
include building= if it does then we are interested in every tag even those
that have been read in previously.

I started following Bjenk's footsteps with R but realistically setting up
the environment and parsing the file in R isn't that user friendly.

So I dropped back to Visual Studio express which is free from Microsoft.
I've been working in the IDE environment and I have something that counts
ways at the moment.  Extending it to nodes is relatively simple once I have
the ways working correctly.

A very small sample output is below.

detached'  - 3
t2'  - 2
terraced'  - 1

addr:housenumber - 6
addr:street - 6
building:levels - 5
addr:postcode - 3
roof:shape - 1

####

I've just spotted that building types have an extra ' in the name.  The
Comma Separated Values (CSV) were working so they can be fed into a
spreadsheet or some sort of stats program and 'Real Soon Now'™ it will be
working once more.

The input is an .osm file so download and chop it up with OSMconvert64 to
give the area you are interested in. I have sample .bat files available
that do this.

What I need is someone who has use for the information to look it over and
give feedback.  Please contact me directly not through the group.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John